Wednesday, May 8, 2013

MET PUNK Chaos to Couture-Shock to Shock is Shlock

The Costume Institute exhibits draw on museum quality design or historically relevant "couture."  PUNK, stunk!  The legacy of punk, from its birth in the '70's is juxtaposed with its influence on today's fashion.  Hence, what was regarded as something shocking, heaven knows, today, anything goes.  I find it more offensive that Vivien Westwood credits herself for having given birth to punk than Mickey & Minnie procreating on a T-shirt.  (I mean really.)  Are spikes & bondage really avant-garde in today's fashion or are they mundane & tame?  I say the later.  Was the mohawk hairdo provacative or an imitation of Don King's unkempt coif? The unifying emblem in the show were the spikey wigs of varying colors on the mannequins. The audio-visuals of punk rock bands from the era were murky, the plastic debris walls; tawdry & the noise level deafening. I found it somewhat interesting when the haute couture houses such as Dior & Givenchy added their refined aesthetic to the PUNK look.  But a torn Channel suit - ho hum, it was dumb.  I was headed for a quick departure & the coup de grace was a mannequin giving me the finger. I thought the exhibition a waste of space & my time.  But, if you like it, Good For You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think