Sunday, January 13, 2013

Forbidden Broadway @ the 47th Street Theatre

Forbidden Broadway is a theatre goers' soiree.  Gerard Alessandrini the creator/writer is the recipeint of an Obie, 3 Drama Desk Awards for Best Lyrics for Forbidden Broadway & was awarded the 2006 Tony Award for Excellence in the theatre.  The tiny 47th Street Theatre packs a wallop of hysterics.  In addition, to a pianist on stage, there are 2 actors & 2 actresses.  All of whom are riotously funny, excellent singers and spot on satirists.  The bulk of the credit goes to Alessandrini whose lyrical parodies & clever staging kept a smile plastered on my face the entire show.  Forbidden has gone through 25 revisions as Broadway shows continue to come & go.  Being a thespian myself, I have voiced my jabs @ numerous shows.  Perhaps a certain writer has been reading my blogs and "borrowing" a line or two.  Although, Alessandrini puts his words to lyrical spoofs and actors to irreverant & humorous parody which make for an unforbidden guilty pleasure.  I'll continue to enjoy the every changing Broadway shows.  I'll also make a point of going to future renditions of Forbidden Broadway.  I would encourage you to do so, also.  Who knows, perhaps my name will "share" in future writing credits.  One of the highlights of the show was the dance number from Newsies & the battling duet between Julie Taymor (as Spiderwoman) & Bono, "Sue me, sue me, what can you do me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think